I am currently writing this blog from the Ikon Gallery in Birmingham and I’m trying to express gratitude to a woman I never thanked enough. I just hope that she knew that I loved, appreciated and above all else respected her.
Jane was the most courageous and inspirational woman that I have ever had the pleasure to have met. She was my tutor for what was then called Emotional Therapy. Her first ever words to me were “welcome home” this lady taught, inspired, encouraged and on occasions purposely pushed my buttons to anger me till I got it.
I nervously first met Jane on the first weekend of the Emotional Therapy Foundation
Course- this part of the training is all about self discovery and I felt vulnerable! I knew at some point I would have to share personal information with complete strangers. Over the years of my training I began to love this lady who’s favorite quality was joy, who loved her food and knowing that when I attended the weekends I stayed in a local hotel would ask me all about my cooked breakfast, who repeatable asked about by sushi lunch and when she finally tried it spat it out so fast stating “thats not food”. She loved her family, her friends, her students, her clients.
Jane was Emotional Therapy, she lived it, breathe it, organised it, dragged it up to the twenty first century but mostly she had complete faith that it worked. Her last words to me were “I’m hugging Mike first” 🙂 at her last AGM and a part of me will always miss her at the CPD days.
Gratitude is an important part of my work, daily I work with people who are suffering, who cannot see the little ray of hope within their lives and I have to say I stole this one from another mentor Maggy Whitehouse. Maggy works with Kabbalah, Astrology and prosperity teachings at the end of each day Maggy lists 10 things that she is grateful for within her life or what has happened that day, along with the things she would like to bring into her life. I do not use this for prosperity I use it for my clients to see that there is good within their lives and for them to start to think about what they would like to bring into it. Sometimes it is hard and all you can list is the fact that chocolate exist and the 10 cups of tea that you managed to drink during the day, another day the list is endless.
Today I’m grateful for:
1. Having Jane Rochfort as a tutor, pushing my buttons, making me laugh and supporting me more than I will ever know.
2. Maggy Whitehouse for breaking down boundaries and limited beliefs and recognising something within me that I never knew about myself.
3. Mike for breaking down boundaries and my commitment phobia, making me laugh, love and joy
4. Ivy the craziest and most gorgeous baby in my world
5. Hilary for opening my eyes to holistic therapies, playing devils advocate, and a fab Godmother to Ivy
6. Rachel her support and friendship and another fab godmother to Ivy
7. For Emotional Therapeutic Counselling the journey it started all those years ago when I most needed to find myself
8. My clients who I learn something from
9. Contemplation time
10. Genuine friendships.
What are your gratitudes for today?